|Functions of MPSBB
| In Rule 14 of Madhya Pradesh Biological Diversity Rules, 2004 following functions of Madhya Pradesh State Biodiversity Board are described –
- Lay down the procedure and guidelines to govern the activities provided under Section 23.
- Advise the State Government on any matter concerning conservation of biodiversity, sustainable of its components and fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising out of the use of biology resource and knowledge.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to the departments of the State Government.
- Regulate by granting of approvals or otherwise requests for commercial utilisation or bio-survey a bio-utilisation of any biological resource by Indian Nationals.
- Facilitate updating and implementation of State Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan.
- Commission studies and sponsor investigations and research.
- Engage consultant for a specific period, not exceeding three years, for providing technical assistance to the Board in the effective discharge of its functions. Provided that if it is necessary and expedient to engage any consultant beyond the period of three years, the Board shall seek prior approval of the State Government for such an engagement.
- Collect, compile and publish technical and statistical data, manuals, codes or guides relating to conservation of Biological biodiversity, sustainable use of its components and fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising out of the use of biological resource and knowledge.
- Organise through mass media a comprehensive programme regarding conservation of biological biodiversity, sustainable use of its components and fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising out of the use of biological resource and knowledge.
- Plan and organise training of personnel engaged or likely to be engaged in programmes for the conservation of biological biodiversity and sustainable use of its components.
- Take steps to build up database and to create information and documentation system for biological resources and associated traditional knowledge through biodiversity registers and electronics databases, to ensure effective management, promotion and sustainable uses.
- Give directions to the local bodies/Biodiversity Management Committees in writing and through appropriate oral means, for effective implementation of the Act, and to facilitate their meaningful participation in all measures relating to conservation, sustainable use, and equitable benefit-sharing.
- Report to the State Government about the functioning of the Board and implementation of the Act and the Rules made there under.
- Recommend, prescribe, modify, collect fee of biological resources from time to time.
- To devise methods to ensure protection of rights including intellectual property rights over biological resources and associated knowledge including systems of maintaining confidentiality of such information as appropriate, including the protection of the information recorded in People's Biodiversity Registers.
- Sanction grants-in-aid and grants to Biodiversity Management Committees for specific purposes.
- Undertake physical inspection of any area in connection with the implementation of the Act.
- Ensure that biodiversity and biodiversity-dependent livelihoods are integrated into all sectors of planning and management, and at all levels of planning from local to state, to enable such sectors and administrative levels to contribute effectively for conservation and sustainable use.
- Prepare the annual Budget of the Board incorporating its own receipts as also the devaluation from the State and Central Government provided that the allocation by the Central Government shall be operated in accordance with the budget provisions approved by the Central Government.
- Board shall have full powers for granting administrative and technical sanctions to all the estimates; it may however delegate such administrative and technical
- Sanction powers to the Member Secretary of the Board, as may be deemed necessary.
- Recommend creation of posts to State Government, for effective discharge of the functions by the Board and to create such posts, provided that no such post whether permanent/temporary or of any nature, would be created without prior approval of the State Government.
- Perform such other functions, as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of the Act or as may be prescribed by the State Government from time to time.
- Shall have power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable and enter into contract for the same.